Swim Power + Push, Pull, Core
Build Your Own Swim Workout #3: Freestyle Intensity
Vasa’s Build Your Own Swim Workout #3: 10-minutes Freestyle Intensity + Push, Pull, Core Build Your Own Swim Workout (BYO)
NOTE: This workout is best done using the Vasa SwimErg, but it can be modified to use a Vasa Trainer Pro or a Vasa Sport Bench with Vasa Swim Cords for the swim intervals. For the Push, Pull, Core part, you can also use light dumbbells, sand bells, filled water bottles, or soup cans.
Warm-up for 10 to 15 minutes
1. Swim Interval #1: 2-minutes with 15-secs rest (Freestyle or double-arm pulls)
2. PUSH – Dumbbell Shoulder Press, 8 – 12 reps
3. Swim Interval #2: 1-minute. Increase in intensity. Take 15-secs rest. (Freestyle or double-arm pulls)
4. PULL – Dumbbell Row, 8 – 12 reps
5. Swim Interval #3: 30-seconds. Increase in intensity. Take 15-secs rest. (Freestyle or double-arm pulls)
6. CORE – Pelvic Tilt progression, 8 – 12 reps
7. Swim Interval #4: 15-seconds using a fast stroke rate & increase the intensity. Take 15-secs rest. (Freestyle or double-arm pulls)
1. Repeat this for one to five rounds, depending on your fitness level;
2. Rest 1 – 2 minutes between Rounds. Cool down for 10 to 15 minutes
3. Strive to maintain a long, taut bodyline when swimming on the Vasa SwimErg or any bench;
4. Avoid “Monospeed” swimming – Accelerate your pull from “catch to finish”;
All of the Vasa “Build Your Own” Swim Workouts use this format:
Picture the wheel with hub and spokes. The “hub” will be swim-specific Interval training at the center of each workout. You’ll come back to the center (hub) for each set of swim-specific intervals in between each Push, Pull, and Core exercise (spokes).
You can use a Vasa SwimErg, a Vasa Trainer Pro, or a Vasa Sport Bench with Vasa Swim Cords to do these swim-specific intervals.
The “spokes” will be comprised of a combination of Push, Pull, and Core exercises you choose from a variety of bodyweight calisthenics or functional training tools, such as dumbbells, medicine balls, kettlebells, free weights, or suspension training. If you have a Vasa Trainer Pro or a Vasa SwimErg equipped with the Trainer Strap System accessory, you can also use those to do some of the Push, Pull, and Core exercises.
There are nearly unlimited variations for the BYO Hub & Spoke workout configurations. You can create a workout using only upper body exercises or you can create a full-body workout with a balanced mix of the upper body, lower body, core, and swim power intervals. Variations also can be created by changing the intensity level, interval time, or the number of rounds. If you need an easy day, just do it at a lower intensity, with shorter intervals, less repetitions, and fewer rounds.