Vasa PM3 Power Meter FAQ’s:
What is the Vasa PM3 Power Meter?
The Vasa PM3 Power Meter is Vasa’s newest version of the Power Meter with built-in ANT+ and BT Wireless Connectivity that allows the wireless transmission of Vasa SwimErg training data to a variety of 3rd party ANT+ receiving devices as well as Mac, iOS and Android applications giving you the ability to create, plan, and execute structured workouts and training programs.
Why Train with the PM3 Power Meter?
Using the Vasa PM3 Power Meter in conjunction with 3rd party applications like TrainerDay®, you can create structured workouts and plans and use them while training on your Vasa SwimErg, giving you the ultimate dryland structured swim training experience. You can perform structured training and see your performance data in real time. When you are done training, upload your workout to 3rd party applications like TrainingPeaks®, to analyze your individual workout performance and track your overall training and fitness over time.
What devices and applications are compatible with the Vasa PM3 Power Meter?
The Vasa PM3 Power Meter is directly compatible with most Garmin® cycling computers, multisport watches, and Mac, iOS, and Android training software platforms TrainerDay® and TrainerRoad®. Many other devices and apps will work directly with the Vasa PM3 Power Meter but may have limited functionality. Leverage other 3rd party applications like TrainingPeaks®, Strava®, and Intervals.icu® for post workout analysis.
What metrics are transmitted from the PM3?
The PM3 Power Meter displays and transmits real-time metrics such as power in watts, stroke rate, left/right power balance (ANT+ Devices Only), pace/100m, time, and distance in meters.
NOTE: Left / Right Power Balance is available by display on the PM3 Power Meter or transmitted wirelessly to compatible ANT+ receiving devices. iOS and Android applications do not currently support this metric.
How do I connect the PM3 Power Meter to ANT+ Devices?
The setup and configuration steps to pair the PM3 Power Meter to 3rd party ANT+ devices will vary depending on the device. As a general rule, here are the basic steps to follow:
- Turn on the Vasa PM3 Power Meter and pull the drive cords on the SwimErg to wake up the power meter.
- Turn on the ANT+ receiving device and ensure that the GPS mode is turned off. (Very Important)
- Search for available power sensors. Note: the PM3 will look like a bike power meter to these devices. You will see a 2,3,4, or 5-digit number appear when found.
- Once connected to the device, edit the preferences of the sensor and ensure that the wheel circumference is set to 100mm.
- Please follow the device manufacturer’s instructions for syncing to other 3rd party apps.
How do I connect the PM3 Power Meter to iOS and Android Applications?
The setup and configuration steps to pair the PM3 Power Meter to 3rd party iOS and Android applications will vary depending on the app. As a general rule, here are the basic steps to follow:
- Turn on your PM3 and pull the drive cords to wake up the power meter.
- Open the 3rd party app and locate their Add Devices and enable search.
- Pull the drive cords on the Vasa SwimErg until the Vasa SwimErg Smart Trainer device appears. NOTE: the PM3 is not a resistance controllable Smart Trainer.
How do I get my free 90 day subscription to TrainerDay?
You will receive an email from [email protected] after your power meter ships with a unique coupon code and instructions for signing up.
You can also watch these YouTube Videos:
How to setup your TrainerDay Account and Vasa
How to train using Vasa and the TrainerDay App
Are there any printed manuals and quick-start guides?
How does training on the Vasa SwimErg with PM3 Power Meter improve my swimming?
Coach Tim Crowley explains in this video why measuring power on the Vasa Power Meter will improve your swim training, testing and coaching.